Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Chills Down My Spine

People are saying it.  The news is reporting it.  It's on everyone's mind.  The Third Intifada is here. 

Is it true?  I keep trying to pretend that it's not.  And even if my stomach is a bit nervous at the thought, I'm still not convinced that it's here.  I'm still convinced that it's a tool of the media to get us all scared and up in arms again, a tool of the politicians to help advance their agendas.

But what if I'm wrong?

Last week, there were three terror attacks in Jerusalem.  There has been constant rioting since the "end" of the war, and a general feeling of unrest is just floating through the airwaves there. 

Today, however, shook me deeper down than any of this other, remote stuff has.  My adorable officemate came wheeling around the corner and said, "You've got to come quick!  There's a protest happening!"  Together, we cautiously walked to where the noise was coming from, and we saw on the outside of the campus gates a very large crowd of people waving Palestinian flags.

Let me pause to say how much I support the right to organize and protest.  I think it's beautiful.  And this group was supremely organized with their agenda clearly stated.  So, kudos to them for the work put into the protest.

The weird part is this - the protesters were mostly Bedouins.  From what I know of Israeli history, Bedouins have been historically very supportive of Israel.  There are Bedouin units in the army, and Bedouins identify (identified?) themselves as Israeli.  I guess this could be coming from a wide range of areas, including complete grief and frustration at how they are marginalized by the Israeli government, are not afforded the same access to education and jobs as the rest of Israeli society, and so on.  They're definitely coming with a strong voice to protest, but to do it so vehemently against what they once considered their home?  That many of their own family members have died protecting?  That's not a good sign, friends.

And I saw all of this happen today, in my beloved city of Be'er Sheva, outside the gates of my university.  What does this mean?  Are we are on the verge of being divided?  Can we not get along?  Is this the end of that beautiful air of cooperation and coexistence that we have enjoyed here in Be'er Sheva? 

I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but watching that protest today, and watching the counter-protest by the group of Israelis, fueled by energy and emotion, really unsettled me.  What's next?  Am I being supremely naive thinking that this thing called peace is even possible?

I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment