Thursday, April 11, 2013

Another Day, Another Fadicha

In case I haven't taught you this word yet, you really need to know the Hebrew word "fadicha."  It means like a screw up, an embarrassment, a fiasco, and I make a lot of them when I'm speaking Hebrew.  As promised, here is my funny story about my most recent language mishap. 

I was working in the fitting room in the guys' section at the Bat Yam store near Tel Aviv (where I'm training until our huge store opens in Be'er Sheva).  This handsome guy walks in, and I give him a room.  A few minutes later, his friend comes in and asks me something I didn't quite understand fully, until the end when I realized he was looking for his friend.  So, I said to him, "You're friend is here."  However, in this curious language, the word "friend" is also frequently used to describe a significant other.  This is not something they taught us in ulpan (intensive Hebrew classes), and furthermore, they didn't teach us that there is a word to use to describe someone as strictly a friend ("yadid" instead of "chaver").  Back to our scene...so, the guy thought that I thought that he and his friend were a couple, and he quickly and defensively corrected my Hebrew.  I know I blushed, and I got so embarrassed, but I really couldn't think of anything to say other than, "Oh, right."  Now, I'm very careful to use these words correctly...even though normal Israelis aren't so careful about their word choice.  ::sigh::  Being a new immigrant...

As for an Artur update, you guys helped get him over 900 votes!  That's amazing because they were all genuine and organic.  Sadly enough, he didn't make it to the finals, although it was VERY close.  My theory is that he's just too good and so above the rest that the judges didn't think it was fair for him to be involved.  :P  He and I both appreciate all the support...if you want more, just go to his YouTube channel. 

In other exciting news, I was called by the same reporter who did a story on me during the war, and he asked me to write about all the "firsts" I have had as an Israeli leading up to Israeli Independence Day next week.  I worked really hard on the article, and I am happy to report that it will be published in the online version of Channel 2 here in Israel.  Of course, I'll post a link and a translation when it happens, either Monday or Tuesday.  Even cooler is that I realized that Israeli Independence Day corresponds exactly with my 6 month Aliyah-versary.  I can't believe it's already been half a year!  Wow...things just keep getting better and better. 

Until next time, my dear readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment